NEWS
Wednesday August 21 2019
Keylor Navas asks to leave Real Madrid

Keylor Navas has asked to leave Real Madrid after being told he would be second-choice to Thibaut Courtois this campaign, report Marca.

The Costa Rican had been behind Courtois in the pecking order for the majority of last season while Luca Zidane, son of Zinedine, had also been selected ahead of the Costa Rican.

Zidane and Andriy Lunin have subsequently both left Los Blancos on loan deals, but Navas is not keen on spending another season playing second fiddle to the Belgian.

Benfica had been heavily linked to signing the shot-stopper and were said to be hopeful of including them in their talks to sign Madrid striker Raul de Tomas earlier this summer, but a move never materialised.

Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain had also been linked to the goalkeeper but neither lodged a firm offer, while the English transfer window has already closed.

The 32-year-old had started just 11 La Liga matches last campaign although seven of them arrived since Zinedine Zidane returned in March, bringing hope that he could have more opportunities this season.

However, multiple reports have suggested that the experienced goalkeeper has been told he is not part of Madrid’s plans next season.

Navas joined Madrid from Levante in the summer of 2014 and has won three Champions League titles with the club.

Football Italia website